Ban on mullet sale

 
Published: Saturday 04 July 2015

kuwait's leading fish farm has trashed 51 tonnes of dead fish. Probably a poison scare prompted the firm to do so. However, government officials said the poison scare sweeping the emirate was no cause for alarm and the situation was well under control.

The 180,000 fish identified as Bolti, were being bred at a private farm 15 km west of Kuwait City, the Al Watan daily said. There was no explanation for the deaths. Thousands of dead mullet were found washed up along the shores of Kuwait in the recent days and the government has so far insisted that only mullet were affected. Before the news of the Bolti deaths came in, cabinet affairs minister Mohammad Sharar said that all species other than mullet were safe to eat. An official ban has been imposed on selling mullet.

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter :

Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.