In his speech, the President gave emphasis on financial inclusion, development schemes and women power
Opening the budget session of the Parliament, President Pranab Mukherjee addressed a joint session and stressed on key initiatives that the government has taken to improve the quality of life of the poor. Rural jobs, financial inclusion, social schemes and women power were the main focus of his speech.
Here are major takeaways:
- He appreciated resilience demonstrated by the people of India, particularly the poor, in the fight against black money and corruption
- India launched 8 operational missions covering meteorological, navigation, earth observation and communication satellite
- The President said that the Centre is committed to provide shelter to every houseless poor household through the Pradhan Mantri Aawas Yojana
- He mentioned Mission Indradhanush, which, according to him, is committed to vaccinate "every child everywhere" against preventable diseases.
- A shift towards digital economy was first hinted when the President said that the BHIM app has become one of the most customised payment systems in #India
- He informed the Parliament that the government has sanctioned Rs two lakh crore through 5.6 crore loans under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana
- Talking about empowerment of tribals, President said that 14 different sectors have been identified under the Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojana
- He said that 11000 of 18000 villages, which were in darkness since independence, were electrified in record time
- According to Pranab Mukherjee, over two million youth have benefitted from the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana.
- He said that the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana will make clean energy accessible to the poor
- In his speech, President Mukherjee said that minimum wages have increased by 42 per cent in both agricultural and non-agricultural sector
- The revision of Maternity Benefit Act will support pregnant women at the workplace
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
India Environment Portal Resources :