Death in Sirpur Paper Mills
One worker was killed and four others were critically injured due to chlorine gas leakage in the Sirpur Paper Mills in Andhra Pradesh's Adilabad district recently. The accident was attributed to a malfunctioning valve. The victim, who was working about 50 metres away from a leaking cylinder, was apparently overpowered by the smell and could not escape due to panic.
"Safety audits are conducted on a regular basis and all possible precautions are taken to prevent such incidents. We plan to increase safety awareness among our employees," said S K Khare, executive director of Sirpur Paper Mills. "The issue has also been taken up with the manufacturers of the chlorine cylinders procured by the mill," he added.
The use of chlorine, the most common bleaching agent in the Indian paper industry, has been recognised as a major health and safety hazard. Many paper mills have onsite and offsite disaster management plans to prevent accidents due to chlorine leakage. But leakages continue to haunt the industry.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.