IT WAS darkness at noon for Delhiites on June 6, when a huge blanket of smoke covered the sun as the 3,000 odd shops in Asia's biggest market of poly-vinyl- chloride (PVc) goods in Jwalapuri, west Delhi, was gutted. Initial loss estimates put it at Rs 80 crore. None died, but medical experts have expressed con- cern at the health impact on those who were exposed to the fumes.
The much exercised local people harassed visiting officials and told the chief minister, Madan Lal ~hurana that they had often reminded the authori- ties of the fire hazard inherent in the market, which was perilously close to residential areas. Senior officials reveal that they have been instructed to look for options to relocate the Jwalapuri plastic establishments.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.