Tata retaliates

Media>> 2G SCAM • India

 
Published: Monday 30 November -0001

imageThe Tata group has taken offence to some media outfits’ coverage of the 2G scam.

It has barred its companies from responding to reporters from publications and television channels, including Open, Pioneer and Outlook, and those that are part of the India Today Group and Bennett, Coleman and Co Ltd. A senior executive at a Tata group company told the economic daily Mint there had been a verbal instruction to this effect. Christabelle Noronha, chief (group corporate affairs) at Tata Sons, told the paper there is “no such policy” or “ban”, but added that the group companies have been instructed not to participate in news stories by “offending” media outfits.

Sunit Arora, business editor, Outlook, tweeted: “The Tata group has banned story-related contact with four news organisations: The Economic Times, India Today, Headlines Today, Outlook.” However, Mahesh Peri, president and publisher of Outlook Group, denied knowledge on the matter. “I haven’t heard about it. Tata group has stood for freedom of the press and the company, I’m sure, will not blacklist magazines.”

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter :

Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.