Toxic metals in snails

 
Published: Wednesday 15 September 1999

A recent study has revealed that more than half the snails fished out of southern Hong Kong waters contained excessive levels of toxic metals. The study conducted by researchers of the City University urged people to eat fewer shellfish. But the Hong Kong department of health said they were generally safe. Margaret Chan Fung, director of health, says: "Only a small proportion of shellfish was found to contain unacceptable limits of toxic metals. We can't conclude that all shellfish have excessive levels of toxic metals. We also have to look into the selection method of the study... to determine whether it is representative." However, she also advised people not to eat too many shellfish because they all contained some level of toxic material.

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter :

Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.