Rapid rise in the number of visitors at the National Audubon Society's Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, southwest of Florida, USA, has resulted in an alarming increase in the amount of waste generated. But the sanctuary, in consonance with laws of Florida, has built a comprehensive sewage system to treat the wastes. The sanctuary got Living Technologies, a company based in Vermont, to develop a cost-effective and completely organic system of sewage treatment. The treatment facility, called Living Machine, can recycle up to 45,460 litres of wastewater per day. About 90 per cent of this is recycled back to toilets. The remaining 10 per cent is discharged into an absorption pond (Environment , Vol 39, No 6).
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.