Production of organic tea in Darjeeling is increasing as consumers in the West refuse to import tea with pesticide residues
A LARGE number of tea gardens in
Darjeeling have switched over to organic
tea. No inorganic fertilisers, pesticides
and wcedicides are used. The planters
only use bio-compost, biomass-based
mulching is being used as fertilisers.
Similarly, only neem-based pesticides
and weedicides like Neerrigold and
Neemazol are used. Organic tea is
meant only for export.
More than 80 per cent of Darjeeling tea is exported. Germany, Japan and Britain being the main buyers. The remaining 20 per cent of Darjeeling tea is consumed in the domestic market. In the recent past, some consignments of Darjeeling tea have been rejected by Germany, because the maximum residue limit (MRL) of certain chemicals was beyond the prescribed limits. Germany, USA and UK have laid down some norms regarding MRL.
The norms and conditions for organic tea have been laid down and it is certified by the Institute of Marketocology in Germany. For a conventional tea producing garden to become organic, it has to stop using fertilisers, pesticides and weedicides for three years. After that the garden is inspected by the representative of the Institute of Marketocology and is certified as an organic garden. According to R K Dixit, president of Teesta Valley tea garden, with most of the Darjeeling gardens going organic, the production of Darjeeling tea is decreasing.
The pricing of Darjeeling organic tea depends on the international buyers. According to Kalyan Mukherjee of Goodricke Tea, "the tea is the buyers market and not the sellers market". Tea is sold directly to the international buyers as well as indirectly through auction market.
Darjeeling gardens are now producing the finest organic tea in the world but at the cost of the reduction in the crop yield. The prices, too are not increasing commensurately, although occasionally a certain amount of tea from some gardens has fetched phenomenal or fancy prices, the recent one being nearly Rs 28,000 per kg. The Castleton tea garden (Goodricke company) in 1991 produced tea which fetched the price of Rs 13,001 per kg in the auction. It is hoped that the 'organic champagne tea' will command a good price.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.