Phenols are a group of toxic compounds that impart bad odour and taste to water. According to a recent report, sawdust waste can help remove phenol and other related toxic compounds from water. V Sivandan Achari and T S Anirudhan, scientists from the University of Kerala at Trivandrum, studied the absorption of phenol by using the sawdust from jackwood timber and found that the maximum adsorption took place at a pH of 5.5. The process removed almost 80 per cent of the initial concentration of 25 milligrams of phenol per litre. The spent adsorbent can be regenerated and reused by acid treatment ( Vatis Update , Vol 5, No 9).
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.