Uttar Pradesh serves notice to 150 negligent surgeons
THE Uttar Pradesh government has issued show-cause notices to about 150 surgeons for not performing any surgery in the past three months. Most surgeons who received the notices were from Allahabad, Sitapur and Kanpur.
The state has set a target of at least 50 surgeries a month for all government hospitals. If the surgeons fail to explain the reason for job neglect within 15 days, strict action would be taken against them, said the notice issued by the Health and Family Welfare Department of the state on January 4. The department acted after it received a report by the state health directorate on the performance of doctors.
Ashok Mishra, chief medical officer of Kanpur, said, “The surgeons were coming to hospitals but refused to perform surgeries, blaming lack of equipment.” They were not willing to work in rural areas, he added. In the past, the media has reported about complaints from patients, especially the poor ones, about not being able to avail any treatment in government hospitals.
Due to doctors’ unwillingness, poor patients are left to die as they cannot afford private treatment, said Vimla Srivastav, president of Uttar Pradesh Voluntary Health Association, a non-profit. Last year, the government dismissed 1,053 doctors from the Provincial Medical and Health Services cadre for remaining absent for a decade.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.