Chief minister Yogi Adityanath has asked Shaharanpur police to probe into the incident
Around 300 children of Saraswati Shishu Mandi School fell ill after inhaling toxic gas from sugar mill waste in Shamli district of Uttar Pradesh.
At least two dozen students fainted and the rest complained of nausea, uneasiness, itching and tears in eyes, according to the reports.
The affected students were rushed to district hospitals. Few of them were referred to hospitals in Muzaffarnagar and Meerut. Their condition is believed to be stable. More than 175 students have been discharged from the hospital.
A local journalist, requesting anonymity, says that the incident happened in the morning when the workers at the sugar mill started destroying the waste by using some chemicals.
The students, who were reportedly passing through the place, got affected by the gas emitting from the waste. As soon as they reached the school, they started feeling breathless.
The chief medical officer of the district has ordered a probe into the incident after the parents started protesting against carelessness of the sugar mill in disposing of its waste and demanded action against the administrators.
The sugar mill has been reportedly sealed off and chief minister Yogi Adityanath has also asked Shaharanpur police to investigate the case.
This May, at least 300 students in Delhi fell ill after gas leak from a container depot near their school.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
India Environment Portal Resources :
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.