India had 52,952 cases positive to the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) by 8 am, May 7, 2020, according to the Union Ministry for Health and Family Welfare.
- The death toll was at 1,783.
- The number of active cases 35,902.
- Until now, 15,266 were cured / discharged.
- According to private aggregator Covid19india.org, Mumbai remained the most-infected district with 10,714 cases.
- Delhi (though with multiple districts) continued to be the second-most affected city.
- Ahmedabad has now emerged as the steady third-worst affecfted, with 4,716 cases.
- Chennai followed with 2,331 cases.
- Indore and Jaipur were also well above 1,000 cases.
- Kolkata was yet to reach the mark, but there several cases have been reported from adjoining areas in neighbouring districts.
- According to aggregator Worldomegters.info, India was amnong the countries that were testing the least for SARS-CoV-2 — only 985 / million people.
- This was way lower than neighbouring Maldives (18,246) and Bhutan (14,894 / mln).
- Even Nepal (2,303 / mln), Sri Lanka (1,426) and Pakistan (1,108) were ahead.
- The testing statistics for the dozen countries with more cases than India (except China, whose information is not available) are:
Peru (13,025 / mln)
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.