The continent has a million cases, but fewer than one confimed case per thousand; but there are many more Africans infected, say several antibody surveys
Africa reached the one million-mark of confirmed novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases, but the continent has fewer than one confirmed case per thousand, with 23,000 deaths so far, reported journal Science.
- Several antibody surveys in the continent, however, show many more Africans were infected by the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19, a discrepancy that has puzzled scientists, said the August 11, 2020 Science report.
- “We do not have an answer,” immunologist Sophie Uyoga at the Kenya Medical Research Institute - Wellcome Trust Research Programme, was quoted as saying by the journal.
- One in 20 Kenyans — 1.6 million people — aged 15 to 64 had antibodies for the virus, a sign of past infection, putting Kenya at par with Spain in mid-May, when the European country had passed its peak and reported 27,000 deaths.
- Kenya, however, recorded 100 deaths when the study ended, with hospitals there not reporting a greater number of people with symptoms of COVID-19, reported Science.
- New Zealand reported 13 fresh COVID-19 cases, increasing its earlier cluster of fresh cases to 17 from the earlier 4, reported news channel CNN. The country’s run of 100 days without any community transmission has, thus, ended.
- A meeting over going ahead with clinical trials for the Covishied vaccine will take place between principal investigators of 17 trial sites, the Indian Council of Medical Research and Serum Institute of India August 14, reported news daily Indian Express.
- Hyderabad-based pharmaceutical firm Biological E Ltd will aid in the development of two vaccine candidates, said an August 14 Indian Express report.
- One candidate is from Johnson and Johnson Services Inc, while the other will be for US-based academic institution Baylor College of Medicine, the report said.
- Zydus Cadila Healthcare Ltd launched a generic version of antiviral drug Remdesivir, made by Gilead Sciences Inc, reported news daily The Times of India. The drug will be priced at Rs 2,800.
- President Ram Nath Kovind will honour a doctor, a police officer and a nursing officer and a worker at Nigambodh ghat (funeral home) at Delhi, during an ‘at home’ ceremony on August 15, the country’s 74th Independence Day celebration.
- India recorded 64,142 fresh COVID-19 cases August 14, taking the total infected to 2,461,542, according to private tracker covid19india.org. The total active cases were at 661,058, while the total deaths were at 48,153.
- The total number of global cases were 21,068,933, with 757,446 deaths recorded as of August 14, according to tracker worldometers.info.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.