India registers highest single-day spike of 66,999 cases August 13; 942 deaths added in 24 hours
The United States Food and Drug Administration announced August 13, 2020 the presence of 1-propanol, a toxin that can depress the central nervous system, in hand sanitisers. It urged consumers “not to use these 1-propanol-contaminated products” and has expanded its do-not-use list of hand sanitisers.
It had earlier recalled at least 100 sanitisers containing toxin methanol.
- Scientists are looking to inject designer versions of monoclonal antibodies to disable the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. However, most of the world’s population don’t have access to them, according to a report published August 13, 2020.
- The report charts out a roadmap to making these life-saving treatments affordable and available, particularly to those living in low- and middle-income countries.
- Australian scientsts are looking to turn the unique virus-busting antibodies found in alpacas into a treatment for the COVID-19 pandemic. They are attempting to extract and purify the antibodies, which could possibly be injected into or inhaled by patients as a potent preventative or cure.
- Meanwhile, China is prioritising giving the coronavirus vaccine to its military. CanSino Biologics, a Chinese vaccine maker that has announced several sets of positive trial results, has begun providing a vaccine to People’s Liberation Army soldiers, even though safety testing for commercial sale of the product is not yet complete.
- India registered the highest single-day spike of 66,999 cases on August 13 and reported 942 deaths in the last 24 hours. The total number of infections now stand at 2,396,637.
- At least 47,033 people have died of the virus in India.
- The recovery rate, however, has gone up to 70.76 per cent, with a total of 1,695,982 people recovering in the country, according to the Union health ministry.
- Andhra Pradesh, which has a huge spike in the caseload in the last few days, added another 9,597 to its tally and 93 fresh casualties.
- Telangana reported 1931 new cases and 11 deaths in the past 24 hours, taking the tally to 86,475 and the toll to 665
- Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust chief has tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 virus.
- The United States government has entered into a $1.525 billion deal with Moderna, a US-based biotech company, for securing the supply of 100 million doses of the novel Coronavirus vaccine that the company is developing.
- The world has so far registered 20,830,254 COVID-19 cases and 747,628 deaths, according to worldometer.com.
- Of the 6,357,366 currently infected patients (active cases), 6,292,763 (1 per cent) are in critical condition.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.