There is a large support of a passive nature, but no outcry against air pollution
Hyderabad is at crossroads. A city rooted in history, it is raring to attain the title of being India's information technology capital. From being a congested old city with very high population density, it wants to become an industrial monolith with a surging economy. If only things were this simple. The quality of life will not improve in direct proportion with economic growth if the environmental conditions are not looked after.
Tishya Chatterjee, member secretary of the Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board (appcb), says industry and automobiles are the major causes of air pollution in the city. "About 60 per cent of the air pollution load in the city of Hyderabad is due to vehicles. The remaining 40 per cent is due to industry and other sources," says J Ramarao of the Society for Preservation of Environment and Quality of Life (speql), an ngo. 'Other causes' include construction materials, an aspect most people ignore.
APPCB studies show that spm levels that are well above the permissible limits. In January 2000, the total spm (tspm) count came close to 600 g/cum) as against the standards of 200 g/cum. The respirable spm (rspm) level was 250 g/cum against a permissible limit of 100 g/cum. The levels of carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen and sulphur dioxide are also quite high.
But nothing seems to be changing. Government efforts are restricted to checking the backsides of cars and fining people who do not possess pollution under control certificates. Surely, if the state wants to move into the new age of information technology, it first has to put its environmental house in order. Kumar rues the fact that people are not being made stakeholders in the process of cleaning up the air, which is alienating them.
His views are shared by experts from all the cities surveyed in this story. They stress that air pollution is not taken seriously because it doesn't hit them like a flood or a drought, it kills slowly. And this slow murder goes largely unnoticed. "People don't care for air quality because it is something that one gets free of cost," says Subhash Dutta of Calcutta. Although the civil society is taking up the issue, it is buckled down by a serious lack of scientific research, which makes their case really weak in front of the courts. It is also very important that the air pollution cases are dealt with at the level of high courts and do not come to the Supreme Court. A variety of problems need a variety of solutions. Generating people's support is important. But it is equally important to stress upon air quality monitoring as well as more studies to be conducted on the health effects of bad air . And then to go to the people with the findings.It is the only way to preempt slow murder.
Reported by Kazimuddin Ahmed and Lopamudra Banerjee
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.