The Union government will not spend on any schemes for a year, the finance ministry reportedly said June 6, 2020.
- All ministries have been asked to hold back requests for such schemes, NDTV.com reported.
- Exceptions will need to be approved by the Department of Expenditure.
- India added 9,851 new cases positive to the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 June 5, according to the Union home ministry.
- The country had 110,960 active cases while the total tally was at 226,770 — the seventh-highest in the world.
- The death toll was at 6,348.
- The countrywide lockdown to curb the pandemic resulted in 2.6 million migrant workers being stranded across India, the chief labour commissioner said after being directed by the Cenreal Information Commission.
- The COVID-19 pandemic is unravelling many gains made with vaccination campaigns for polio, cholera, measles, diphtheria, and meningitis, said World Health Organization chief Tedros A Ghebreyesus June 4.
- The Americas, “a region of massive inequalities,” are facing simultaneous health, economic and social emergencies from the pandemic, said Carissa F Etienne, WHO regional director for the Americas.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.