India was still in the ‘local transmission’ stage of the novel coronavirus disease pandemic (COVID-19) and there was no community transmission, the Indian Council of Medical Research reportedly said March 30, 2020. Down to Earth has earlier reported that the government dropped a hint of the outbreak entering the third stage in the country.
- India’s tally of people who have tested postitive for the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) was at 1,071 on March 30, 2020 morning, according to the Union Ministry for Health and Family Welfare.
- Among them, 100 were foreigners. The pandemic (COVID-19) has killed 27 people until now in the country.
- Unofficial estimates, however, put the total tally at above 1,200.
- Kerala and Maharashtra continued to account for the largest number of cases at 194 and 193 respectively. Maharashtra has recorded the maximum eight deaths, followed by Gujarat (five).
- Telangana, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Delhi and Tamil Nadu had more than 50 cases each. Assam and Jharkhand were the only major states without any cases recorded.
- United States President Donald Trump extended social-distancing guidelines through April after experts warned the US death toll could rise to as much as 200,000, the Washington Post reported.
- There were early signs the pandemic may be slowing down in the UK, according to Imperial College London epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, the Independent daily reported.
- The world now has had 735,010 positive cases resulting in 34,804 deaths, according to Worldometer.
- Among them, 544,084 cases were active, of which 5 per cent were serious or critical.
- Spain recorded more than 5,000 new cases and 537 deaths through the last day. It is second only to Italy in death toll.
- The United States now accounted for the most — 142,746 cases — adding 286 through the day.
- It was followed by Italy with 97,689 cases. The country has recorded the most number of deaths at 10,779.
- China, from where the pandemic started, reported four deaths and 31 new cases a day ago, which takes its tally to 81,470.
- Iran added more than 3,000 cases and 117 deaths.
- In the United Kingdom, doctors plan to use blood plasma of people who are “hyperimmune” to the virus in COVID-19 patients, the Guardian repoerted.
- Government of India on March 29 formed 11 empowered groups under the central disaster management Act to integrate the response against the pandemic.
- MoHFW released data on protective gears for the first time on March 30; said hospitals have 334,000 personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Another 3 lakh donated covers will be recieved from abroad by April 4, Here's a thread:
- The pandemic continued to spread to newer territories. The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Island has reported its first case, the World Health Organization said onMarch 29.
- The global health body also said its COVID-19 Solidarity Fund has received $108 million.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
India Environment Portal Resources :
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.