Visas of diplomats, officials, UN / International Organisations officials’ employment visas are exempted
The Indian government has suspended visas for foreign nationals from all across the globe owing to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. The decision will come into effect from March 13, 2020.
India is the first among more than 120 countries affected by this outbreak to take such a drastic step. Earlier, India had suspended visas of travellers coming from COVID-19-affected countries but a late-night March 11 advisory notified a blanket ban.
The visa-free travel facility granted to Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card holders has also been kept in abeyance till April 15, 2020.
“Any foreign national who intends to travel to India for a compelling reason may contact the nearest Indian Mission,” the advisory said, adding visas of diplomats, officials, UN / International Organisations officials’ employment visas were exempted.
Not only this, all incoming Indian travellers arriving from China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, France, Germany shall be quarantined for 14 days after arrival.
Incoming travellers, including Indian nationals, are advised to avoid non-essential travel and are informed that they can be quarantined for a minimum of 14 days on their arrival in India.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
- Coronavirus update: India’s total count reaches 60
- COVID-19: An infected person may infect others till 22 days
- COVID-19: Pandemic threat real, admits WHO
- COVID-19: Sex workers face tough time in Odisha’s port town Paradip
- Bihar meat-sellers rue drop in Holi sales amid coronavirus rumours
- Coronavirus update: India's tally now at 45
- Coronavirus may eat into global FDI flow, predicts UNCTAD
- COVID-19: Is India testing enough, communicating right?
- Coronavirus update: 7 cases in Palestinian territories
- Coronavirus update: 300 million children miss classes
- COVID-19: Global trade via shipping badly affected, says UNCTAD
- Coronavirus mutated, new strain more aggressive: Research
- 28 people tested positive in India for COVID-19: Harsh Vardhan
- Coronavirus outbreak still containable, says WHO; health agencies disagree
- World's biggest physics meet cancelled amid COVID-19 fears
- COVID-19: Two new cases confirmed in India
- COVID-19: NASA maps show decline in pollution amid slowdown
- COVID-19: WHO raises risk level for world to ‘very high’
- COVID-19: Beijing proposes to permanently ban harvesting of wild animals
- COVID-19: Are we prepared for a pandemic?
- Iranian officials squabble over toll as COVID-19 sweeps West Asia
- COVID-19: Is South Korea new epicentre outside China
- COVID-19: WHO has only $1.2 mln to fight outbreak
- COVID-19 cut China's carbon dioxide emissions by a quarter: Report
- Revealed: Protein ‘spike’ that lets novel coronavirus pierce, invade human cells
- COVID-19: Egypt, South Africa, Algeria at highest risk in Africa
- Why it’s important to study coronaviruses in African bats
- Coronavirus: Chinese media reports drop in new cases, WHO dismisses any trend
- Coronavirus: Enough drug ingredients, says govt, refuses to go into detail
- Call novel Coronavirus 'COVID-19', says WHO
- Coronavirus outbreak: A new mapping tool that lets you scroll through timeline
- Re-creating live-animal markets in the lab lets researchers see how pathogens like coronavirus jump species
- Novel coronavirus outbreak not a pandemic: WHO
- Coronavirus: Kerala count now three
- Do not travel to China: Indian govt to citizens
- Second case of coronavirus confirmed in India
- WHO declares coronavirus outbreak as global health emergency
- Coronavirus hits India: One confirmed case in Kerala, says Centre
- Are enough kits for coronavirus sampling available with NIV?
- How contagious is the Wuhan coronavirus and can you spread it before symptoms start?
- Coronavirus spreads to France, Australia, Malaysia; India tightens watch at 7 airports
- Are you in danger of catching the coronavirus? 5 questions answered
- Second case of Coronavirus confirmed in the US
- Four test negative for Coronavirus, confirms health ministry
- Too early to declare Coronavirus outbreak an int'l emergency: WHO
- Coronavirus continues its march across Asia and the world
- Bats likely source of novel coronavirus: China scientists
- China confirms human-to-human transmission for coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Passengers from China to be screened at Indian airports, advisory issued
- WHO gears up amid new coronavirus cases in Japan, Thailand after China