The Indian rupee has fallen to a record low of 76.87 against the United States dollar. The figure is provisional though.
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant indicated April 16, 2020 that the state might be the first to be in the ‘green zone’ vis-a-vis the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, the Press Trust of India reported.
- France President Emmanuel Macron April 15 advocated clinical trials for a controversial combination of anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine and antibiotic azithromycin against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, British daily the Guardian reported.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) said April 15 it was reviewing how the stoppage of funds by largest doner United States would impact programmes. It, however, evaded putting a number to the loss.
- The WHO ruled out membership for Taiwan on the ground that it is not a member to the United Nations, but cited examples of how it engaged with experts there on issues related to the novel coronavirus disease or otherwise.
- India’s case count was at 12,380 (8 am, April 16), according to the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- It represented an 8.23 per cent increase in 24 hours.
- The death toll was at 414.
- India now has 10,477 active cases.
- China April 15 presented a study claiming most of those who tested positive to SARS-CoV-2 remained free of symptoms.
- The Government of India has asked non-profits recieving funding from abroad to report on their work to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, the Indian Express daily reported.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.