Results of available (but inconclusive) studies point “are consistent with aerosolisation of” the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), according to the head of a panel on health threats at the United States National Academy of Sciences (NAS), the Science magazine reported April 4, 2020. In such a scenario, it is possible the virus can spread through breathing.
- The Donald Trump administration April 2 seemd ready to join local officials in advising Americans to wear masks while venturing out even as the United States death toll jumped by 1,000 in a day the first time.
- Out-patient departments at Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital and Govind Ballabh Pant Hospital will be closed from April 4, Press Trust of India reported. Both hospitals are among the five facilities in New Delhi designated for treatment of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a video message on the novel coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19). Appeals citizens to switch off electric lights for nine minutes from 9 pm on April 5 and light candles / lamps / mobile flashlights. Reiterates the need for social distancing. Doesn't announces any new step or updates on existing measures to fight the disease.
- Three months after first SARS-CoV-2 positive case was reported, the global tally crossed the 1 million mark. There have more than 50,000 deaths due to the pandemic.
- The World Bank April 2, 2020 announced a programme to support developing countries, including India combat the novel coronavirus pandemic. The global institution said it expects to put in $160 million over 15 months.
- The World Health Organization released an alert to warn consumers, healthcare professionals and authorities against falsified medical products that “claim to prevent, detect, treat or cure COVID-19”.
- Among the 1,005,806 positive cases, there were 743,590 active cases according to data aggregator Worldometer. About 5 per cent of the cases remained serious or critical.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
India Environment Portal Resources :