Increase in cases in Delhi is because of ‘lackadaisical attitude’ of people, says Mahesh Verma, head of Delhi government’s COVID-19 expert committee
There was a dip in testing for the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on a day when the number of daily cases in India rose to more than 90,000.
- On September 5, 2020, when 90,600 new cases were reported, the total tests conducted were 1,092,654, according to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). On September 6, however, when 91,723 fresh cases were reported, the number of tests conducted on that day dipped to 720,362.
- The number of tests increased on September 7, with 1,098,621 tests conducted, while 75,022 cases were reported on that day.
- The increase in COVID-19 cases in the national capital was due to the “lackadaisical attitude” of the people, Mahesh Verma, head of the Delhi government’s COVID-19 expert committee said, according to the Indian Express daily.
- Delhi recorded 2,077 fresh COVID-19 cases September 7 and 3,256 cases September 6 — the city’s greatest single-day spike — according to news agency Press Trust of India.
- Chhattisgarh is recording one of the fastest daily growths of COVID-19 cases in the country, according to an IE report September 8. The state recorded more than 2,500 cases every day, with a record spike of 3,457 cases September 6.
- Gujarat reported four cases of COVID-19 re-infection between August 18 and September 6, nearly four months after they tested positive for the first time, said a September 8, 2020 report by news daily Indian Express.
- The first batch of Russia’s ‘Sputnik V’ vaccine against COVID-19 was released into civil circulation, with regional deliveries planned in the near future, said the Russian health ministry, according to news agency ANI.
- Clinical trials for the vaccine will begin next month in several countries, including India, Kirill Dmitriev, chief executive officer of the Russian Direct Investment Fund that developed the vaccine, reported news channel India Today.
- The announcement comes days after Russia shared “comprehensive data” with India on the vaccine’s safety, said the September 8 India Today report.
- India had a total of 4,280,613 COVID-19 cases, with 883,127 active cases, 3,324,060 recoveries and 72,830 deaths as of September 8, according to private tracker covid19india.org.
- There were 27,490,571 total COVID-19 cases across the world, with 896,869 deaths and 19,591,340 recoveries, as of September 8, according to tracker worldometers.info.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.