India recorded more than 0.1 million cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) — the highest single-day count reported since the beginning of the pandemic. More than 57,000 cases were from Maharashtra alone, a new record for the state that has imposed stringent restrictions and a weekend lockdown.
As many as 490 died as of April 4, 222 of which were from Maharashtra alone, according to the Union health ministry.
- The restrictions, called Break the Chain, include night curfews from 8 pm till 7 am till April 30, 2021. The weekend lockdown will come into force 8 pm Friday and last till 7 am Monday. All types of shops and malls — except those selling groceries and medicines and vegetables — will remain shut till April 30.
- Mumbai and Pune were among the districts that reported the highest number of cases at 11,026 and 12, 472 respectively as of April 4, 2021.
- Delhi recorded 4,033 cases and 21 deaths, according to the Union health ministry.
- Chhattisgarh reported as many as 5,250 cases and 20 deaths as of April 5; Punjab, among the states with the highest death rate in the country, recorded 3,006 cases and 51 deaths.
- The country has more than 0.74 million active cases, at least 0.4 million of which are in Maharashtra alone, according to covid19india.org. As many as 165,138 have died in the country.
- The world as of April 5 recorded 131,993,083 COVID-19 cases and as many as 2,867,681 deaths, according to worldometers.com.
- India administered over three million vaccine doses April 4. As many as 73,054,295 doses have been administered since the drive began in January.
- As many as 658 million doses hagve been administered across 151 countries so far, according to data collected by Bloomberg.
- Bangladesh imposed a week-long lockdown from April 5 to April 11 in the wake of rising COVID-19 cases in the country.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.