Even as outbreak ends in country’s eastern area, another smaller outbreak surfaces in the northwest
The second-deadliest Ebola virus disease outbreak in the eastern area of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) was over, said the country’s government June 25, 2020.
The outbreak in eastern DRC began in August 2018, with the last case reported on April 27, according to the country’s government. For an outbreak to be officially over, there must be no new cases for 42 days. The last known patient suffering from the disease was discharged from a hospital in Beni city.
The worst outbreak occurred in west Africa between 2014 and 2016.
Four key factors played a significant role for this outcome to become a reality:
The Ebola virus infected 3,463 people and claimed 2,287 lives, according to DR Congo health minister Eteni Longondo.
Children accounted for 28 per cent of all cases, compared to about 20 per cent in previous epidemics, said the UNICEF.
“Ending this outbreak is a sign of hope for the region and the world: With solidarity, science, courage and commitment, even the most challenging epidemics can be controlled,” said Matshidiso Moeti, WHO’s regional director for Africa.
The declaration comes even as the DRC is under threat from two other outbreaks: the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic and the world’s largest measles epidemic.
Second outbreak in northwest
The virus, however, resurfaced this month in areas of the country’s former Equateur province in the northwest.
Ebola resurfaced in Equateur on June 1 and has, so far, killed 13 people and infected 24. This is the 11th outbreak in the country since 1976 and is not linked to the one in the east or an earlier outbreak in the same area between May and July 2018.
The new outbreak emerged in Mbandaka, a major trading port and transport hub on the Congo river. In April, the WHO had warned of expected flare-ups at the tail-end of Ebola outbreaks.
UNICEF said increased efforts must continue in response to the new outbreak, which has concerned some epidemiologists as the main cities in the region are situated along the Congo River, which connects Mbandaka with Kinshasa and capital Brazzaville.
The two cities are home to millions of people, raising new fears of an urban epidemic.
“As DRC records over 6,000 cases of COVID-19 infection, it is more important than ever for international donors to support the country’s already overburdened health systems,” said UNICEF.
The UN agency has called for additional support to deal with the new outbreak.
The WHO is reportedly short of at least $83 million to contain the Ebola outbreak in the DRC.
The UN health body will, however, continue working with the DRC to ensure the population benefits from universal health coverage and are protected from future health risks, said Moeti in a statement June 25.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.