more than a hundred cows have died in a span of four months in Rajasthan's Sar region, 23 km from Jodhpur. Though authorities have refused to give any reason for the deaths, it is said that the cows died after drinking contaminated water. According to the collector of Jodhpur, V Srinivas, the post mortem examination reports have not revealed any specific disease. "The deaths could have occurred due to nitrate poisoning or heat stroke," said Srinivas. The temperature was 46 C on the day when the maximum number of cattle perished. Sheer helplessness perhaps prompted the villagers to let their cattle drink from the village well even when it was known that the water was not fit for drinking, said Srinivas.
However, Srinivas was confident that with special efforts made to ensure proper supply of fodder and water through tankers, the cattle would be safe in the area.
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Comments are moderated and will be published only after the site moderator’s approval. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name. Selected comments may also be used in the ‘Letters’ section of the Down To Earth print edition.